Monday, July 7, 2008

Celebrating the Fourth of July in American Samoa with an Argentinean Asado

This weekend the resident Argentinean/Peruvian family in American Samoa hosted an Argentinean Asado (complete with a roasted pig) to send off their daughter who is leaving for Japan to dance professionally for the summer. The theme of the event was "polynesian dance" and everyone came decked out in the latest traditional fashions. Those who tried to avoid wearing costumes were promptly dressed by the host upon arrival. Everything from grass skirts and coconut bras, to the more traditional samoan styles could be seen throughout the party. There was even a samoan singing group who performed periodically throughout the evening. Unfortunately as I was running around taking pictures of everyone I managed to misplace my camera! No surprise there (those who have travelled with me know how talented I am at misplacing cameras) but it means I don't have any pictures of the event. I'll try to track down some photos from other people and post them shortly...

No comments: