Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The first 48 hours...

It has been two days since my wonderful Italian roommate picked me up at Pago Pago International Airport and I cannot believe how much has happened. In addition to finally getting my drivers license, I have met dozens of people, written a project proposal, gone canoeing withe the EPA canoe team, moved into my adorable house, gone on about a million errands, and eaten some great food! While I am here, I will be working with a local Samoan College student named Seeseei to review past interviews, distribute surveys, and write socioeconomic valuation of the marine sanctuary. She has promised to help me learn to speak Samoan but so far my vocabulary is limited to talofa (hello), fa'amolemole (please), and fa'afetai (thank you). The girl sitting next to me on the airplane told me that if I mispronounce fa'afetai I am actually saying something rude. I'm not sure if she was telling me the truth but so far I have avoided saying thank you in Samoan! This Friday several people from my office are going on a sight tour to Fagatele Bay. Hopefully I can remember to take my camera...

1 comment:

DBP said...

Sounds like you are having a blast... and watch out for dirty words in Samoan! :)