Sunday, June 15, 2008

Church, Samoan Style

This morning I had one of the most incredible experiences of my entire life, I attended a Samoan Baptist Church Service with SeeSeei and her family. Everything in Samoa is closed on Sunday so you basically have two choices: stay home or go to church. I chose the latter. When I arrived at the church, the entire congregation was on their feet singing and dancing to electronic guitar, synthesizer, and drum play traditional music...I could tell right away this was going to be my kind of thing. There was a brief sermon but for the most part it was all about the music. Everyone was dressed to the nine in their newest pulatasi's (traditional dresses). SeeSeei and I even had matching dresses made for the occasion! The entire event was one big celebration of friends, family, and life and I felt so fortunate to be a part of it! After church there was an enormous feast to celebrate the recent high school graduates and father's day. Here are some pictures from the event:

Catrina, Jen, this one's for you:



The kids are trying to teach me to count to ten in Samoan:



Group shot:



Chillin in the kitchen:



The graduates:



SeeSeei and I:



Eating:

2 comments:

... said...

great puletasi!!!! we should have a macthing one once i am back to samoa!!! enjoy the island!!! baci!
Barbara

Kelseyalice said...

wow I am soo jealous what fun! Love the new outfit, gotta get me one of those :)
42 days and counting AAHHHH...