Wednesday, May 28, 2008

And I'm Off!

Last Saturday I boarded a plane in Washington DC en route to my summer rotation with the Fagatele Bay National Marine Sanctuary in American Samoa! After two easy flights, and a short layover in Dallas, I landed in Honolulu where I will be spending a week visiting family. I am looking forward to a little R&R before I start my new job! While I'm in Hawaii, I will be meeting with several NOAA staff  from the National Weather Service, the National Marine Fisheries Service, and the National Ocean Service. This afternoon I am going to visit Jason Gilbert at NWS. He had my Budget Analyst job several years ago so hopefully he will provide me with some insight into the position. We worked together briefly when I first started at NOAA in October but he has since relocated to Honolulu. Tomorrow I am visiting with several scientists who are currently working on projects in American Samoa. My job will be to design and carry out a socioeconomic study that contributes to their research. On Friday I'm going to check out the Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach. And finally on Sunday I am off to American Samoa and my new home...  

4 comments:

... said...

Ciao Emily! we are looking forward to have you here! Am. Samoa is a funny pace to be for a while! don't forget your sense of humor at home! See you soon! ciao!
Barbara

Megan said...

I miss you already! It will be december before we see each other again. Stupid overlapping rotations. I expect a full powerpoint presentation with details of your trip presented in pictures and charts. Expect teh same from me (your pictures will have pretty ocean, mine - shrubland). Thinking of you
-Megan

Jenny said...

Yay! I'm so excited you are blogging...can't wait to hear all about it. I wish I had the attention span to keep a blog going, but I doubt I'd make it past two entries. haha. Miss you like friggin crazy...Jenny

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're going to have so much fun!